Monday, 15 January 2007

Revision

I emailed the publisher that I’d sent the first three chapters of my crime novel to back in October, just to check my manuscript hadn’t got lost. They emailed me back to say they liked it, and wanted to see the whole novel – could I email it to them? Well, I would, I thought, if only I’d finished it! I’d left it languishing in a drawer with handwritten amendments and crossings out and arrows all over it. So in a panic, I dusted it down and started revising the damn thing. I should be over the moon, but instead I’m busting a gut and burning the midnight oil trying to get it into shape. There’s a lesson here – never listen to colleagues who tell you there’s no point working on the full ms until you know you’ve got a publishing deal. I’ll know better next time.

No comments: