Saturday, 28 April 2007

Earthquake!

So there I was, sitting at my desk upstairs in my ‘office’, when I heard what sounded like an enormous lorry approaching. The house began to shake and I thought, that’s a bloody heavy lorry!


The shaking became really bad, enough for stuff on my desk to shuffle about a bit, and lasted for two or three seconds. When it was over I ran downstairs. ‘What the hell was that?’ I asked The Secretary. ‘What was what?’ she said. She hadn’t felt a thing. I began to think I must have imagined it.

Later I discovered there had been an earthquake, somewhere off the coast of Dover. An earthquake! Here in Kent!! According to the BBC News website, the Kent incident is the largest recorded in Britain since an earthquake in Dudley in 2002.

A seismologist from the British Geological Survey said the tremor was around 4.3 on the Richter scale, with an epicentre 7.5 miles off the Dover coast.

No comments: