Friday, 29 June 2007

Busy Week . . .

It’s been a busy week, working on The Belfast Boy rewrites and still dealing with the probate issues following my dad’s death. But at least I haven’t been flooded, unlike half the rest of the country. Anyway, I’ve finished with The Belfast Boy for now – I’ve made all the changes I think it needs, so now I have to leave it in a quiet dark place to brew. I’ll read it through again in a few weeks, at which time I shall no doubt see a hundred and one new things that need doing (or undoing!).

Meanwhile, I’m looking forward to meeting up again with my fellow emerging novelist Julia Buckley. We’ve both been invited to a book launch party in Brighton next week (of which more later).

I heard some disturbing news about a well-established magazine for writers, which I won’t name, from a writer-friend of mine. It seems she sold them a couple of articles, which they published, but when she tried to bank their cheque she found it had been stopped for no obvious reason, leaving her bruised and out of pocket. I’ve had problems with this particular publication myself, having waited six months for payment for a story two years ago. Another friend of mine only got paid for his story when he threatened to sue them. I understand the magazine in question is now ‘under new management’, so hopefully matters will improve. But that’s just another example of how vulnerable we ‘lucky’ writers are!

No comments: