I realised I learned the most important thing about writing from training to run marathons. I had to adopt a very disciplined approach to my running, and I realised at once the incredible similarities between becoming a successful runner and becoming a successful writer.
So these are the top running tips that I translated into my writing practice:
- Run every day, whatever the weather.
- Set yourself goals and targets.
- Keep a training log or journal.
- Run lots of shorter races before you attempt the marathon.
- Study the way successful athletes tackle the race.
- Join a running club.