Monday, 25 June 2007

Writers' Block

A miserable day today – I really struggled to get anything done. The Secretary has swanned off to a Canary island for a fortnight, leaving me sans editorial advice just as I’m getting to the crucial stage of The Belfast Boy. You can’t get the staff these days.

To make matters worse, the postman brought me another rejection letter this morning (very polite, welcoming further offerings, but a rejection nevertheless). I have a Churchillian quote on my office wall: ‘Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm’. It’s meant to help, but some days it just doesn’t.

One bit of good news, though, is that another of my short stories, The Piano Teacher’s Husband, has made the longlist for the Cadenza short story competition. I found the following message on their website:


Due to a record number of entries, results from our March 2007 competition have been delayed, but we are currently working to bring them to you. You can see the longlist here.

Somewhere in there is my story! So that’s encouraging, at least.




Many thanks to Michael Allen for bringing three articles by M.J. Rose to my attention. M.J. Rose describes herself as ‘the internationally bestselling author of eight novels and two non fiction books’, and earlier this year she republished on her blog three articles on the 'luck' required to be a successful writer that she originally wrote for Poets & Writer's magazine in the US. Okay, they have a clear American slant, but they are just as relevant to us Brits. They appeared on her blog on 11June, 12 June and 13 June.

No comments: