Saturday, 7 July 2007

Up and Running

Back in January I seriously injured my knee through over-training for the Flora London Marathon. I rested the injury for a while and ran again too soon in February and made it a whole lot worse. The result was that I haven't been able to run since. For the past month or so I've been planning to start running again but every time I make a firm commitment to myself the wretched knee begins to hurt again, before I've run a single step!

But today I ignored the little twinges from my patella and set of on a very gentle jog to get started on the rocky road to fitness. The fact it was such a lovely morning helped, too! Within four or five steps my knee had tightened up and was begging me to stop. I didn't, and pretty soon the tightness had gone and I began to enjoy myself again. I even ran further than I'd planned I felt so good. And I'm pleased to say the knee feels fine.

What's this got to do with writing? Well, I always feel that I'm more productive after I've had a run in the morning. And the past week or so in particular I've been very unproductive indeed (which may of course have something to do with The Secretary being away on an island off the coast of Africa!). But I'm sure physical fitness has a positive effect on mental abilities, and I know running gives me the opportunity to mull over an issue I might be struggling with in my writing. So, in theory at least, I should be a bit more creative today.

We'll see . . .

2 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I have heard that a lot of orthopaedists are now advocating that people with injuries not give up on physical activity but do just what you did today and keep moving. Use it or lose it, I suppose, but I find myself worried about just how far to go. Sadly, I am not a natural runner, but I do push myself to walk, swim or do yoga even on days when I am not feeling 100%. I am always glad to have done whatever I have chosen to do, but not necessarily happy while I am doing it...

Paul said...

That sounds like good advice, Mary. I know I should have kept up some form of exercise after the injury, like going to the gym, but I was so depressed at having to withdraw from the London Marathon for the second year running (excuse pun) that I had a bit of a sulk instead. My knee is feeling a bit stiff now, but I'll go for another gentle run again tomorrow and just keep my fingers crossed!