Friday, 17 August 2007

Anthology Shmanthology

Well, what a busy week I’ve had! Apart from work, which has been going relatively well lately (in terms of output if not income!), I’ve also been putting together an anthology of work by members of the writers’ group I belong to. Deal Writers has been in existence for only a year or so, and while the group includes several established authors and playwrights this is the first time some of the members have submitted anything for publication.

The group decided some time ago that it would produce an anthology, but for months it seemed as though there wouldn’t be enough material and I was seriously thinking we would have to abandon the project. But then just lately I’ve received a flood of stories, poems and articles of a really high standard, and in the end my co-editor and I had to make some tough decisions about leaving out some really quite good stuff simply because we were running out of space (we already have a contract with the printer, so we have a fixed page limit). But the anthology is beginning to look really good.

So - now we know we have a viable publication, the arguments – sorry, I mean discussions – the discussions are beginning about what to call the thing. At least one member objects to the very use of the word ‘anthology’ altogether, on the basis that it’s old-fashioned and would give potential readers the wrong impression of the work. I think they’re wrong, because an anthology (dictionary definition) is exactly what it is. But then I still refer to LP records and frocks and listen to Radio 4 on the wireless.

Anyway, we shall have the, er, discussion at next week’s meeting and hopefully come up with something everyone can agree on.

Yeah, that was a joke.

4 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I'm on your side, Paul. When I hear 'anthology' I don't think of boring old tomes, I think of a veritable smorgasbord of writing -- a whole treasure trove of interesting bits and pieces among which I am certain to find things that appeal to me.

But then my kids think I am pathetic for not being able to tell the difference between a CD and a DVD, so there you go. 'Fools in old style hats and coats' -- I've gone and become one of them!

Kanani said...

Well, what else would you call it?

A collection? Junk Yard? Tossed Salad? The Vat. Oh... how about A Dungeon of Collected Works.

It does seem rather silly to be arguing over this when you've gotten through the slog of reading loads of material, and when what you've got is precisely an anthology.

On the other hand, I really do like
calling it "The Vat" quite a bit.

Kanani said...

FYI..Paul....
I've added you to my technorati list. If you would make sure youre "pings" are automatically turned on, it will send the new posts to Technorati and I can read them all from my reader.

Ta!

Paul said...

Sorry, Kanani - I've been otherwise engaged. But I think I've turned on my pings now . . .