Monday, 21 January 2008

Women's Magazines

I mentioned back in June that I had been interviewed for a writing magazine. The resulting article is in the current issue of Writers' Forum magazine, complete with hideous photograph.

As you can probably tell from the photo, the piece focuses on the stories I write for the women's magazine market. Here in the UK there are precious few outlets for the short story writer, and I am more than happy to have found a market for my work. A lot of people have misconceptions about women's magazine fiction (not least the blokes in my writers' group, who always pull a 'just humour him' face whenever I mention it). But by and large these are people who haven't read the magazines lately. Most of the stories I write are crime stories - the one in the current Woman's Weekly Fiction Special is about a male sociopath told through first person narrative by the murderer himself. It's certainly no soppy romance!

But here's the rub: the story in question, The Piano Teacher's Husband, caught the eye of a literary agent. She contacted me just after my last blog entry and offered to represent me. Of course, I accepted - and ever since then I've been busily hammering away at my laptop, writing even more stories. So please forgive me if my blogging is more intermittent than ever!

10 comments:

Alis said...

Many congratulations, Paul! I still don't have an agent...

Paul said...

We had a debate on here a few months ago about whether a writer needs an agent. You seem to have done well enough without! Congratulations on the publication of 'Testament'!

Alis said...

Many thanks!

Mary Witzl said...

This is great news, Paul, and good for you!

Years ago as a high school student, I used to babysit and I got to know women's magazines very well. Even back then, there were some fantastic stories. To this day, I can remember some of them and how good they were; Redbook was probably my favorite and had the best stories. When I mentioned this to a friend once he burst out laughing -- and yet he had never read a Redbook.

PK said...

Hi Paul, I just emailed Deal writers in an attempt to track you down. I'm a journalist looking for a quick interview if possible. Please excuse the awkward communication attempt. Hope to hear from you.
Padraig.

Kanani said...

I wish I could get those magazines here. Just so that I could read what you write!

Hideous picture? Well, I guess you'll have to go out and get some glam shots....

Congrats!

Janet said...

Do you think you're better-looking than your photo Paul? Oh, vanity!
Janet x

Janet Cameron said...

Ps. I've no right to criticise. I hate all my photos too. But you can fix that with wonderful Picaso. You can take out all the wrinkles (after all, you haven't really got wrinkles, it's just a trick of the light) and the spinach trapped between your teeth and the red patches under your eyes from too many late nights. Well, if the celebs can do it, why can't we? Janet

Paul said...

Actually, Janet, I think I look much better in pictures than in real life but it's a kind of double-bluff thing. The only trouble is my black luxurious beard seems to come out grey and straggly in photographs . . .

Ah! Vanity, vanity . . .

Janet said...

Well, Paul, Nice 'N Easy Medium Brown does it for me. (Although I mean on my hair - I don't think a beard would suit me.) As for the straggly bits, perhaps a small hair straightener might help? Not that I have anything against grey, straggly beards, I'm sure they tickle just as thrillingly as black, luxurious ones. (Don't you like that word - thrillingly?) J