Thursday, 21 February 2008

Doesn't Time Fly . . . ?

I can't believe it has been a whole month since I last posted anything on my blog! I've been plugging away at my current work-in-progress, a novel with the working title The Crimson Teardrop. So far, it's going reasonably well. But it has also been taking up all my time!

Well, not all my time. I've also been catching up with my reading, getting stuck into my 'to be read' pile. Trouble is, for every book I finish I seem to have acquired three or four more! This year, I'm keeping a list of every book I read. I know it sounds a bit anal, but come December when people start asking me what was the best book I've read this year I won't have to rely on my shockingly poor memory.

I'm currently reading a paperback I bought in pristine condition for 50p from a market stall in Deal on Saturday. Gone Fishin' by Walter Mosley is the prequel to the Easy Rawlins series. According to the blurb on the back, Gone Fishin' was the first book Mosley wrote. I wish the first novel I wrote had been half as good! In fact, I wish the same of theone I'm struggling with now!

2 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

The reason you blog so little is that you write so much. The converse is true for me; really, I will have to stop writing a blog altogether, as it is too entertaining and compelling a diversion.

'The Crimson Teardrop' is a great title; the reader automatically wonders why that teardrop is crimson. Perhaps the reference is to a jewel, but perhaps not -- ooh, you've got me wondering!

I've got to start keeping a list: I feel like such a ninny when people ask me what I've been reading and I go through the whole song and dance of scratching my head and trying to remember.

Believe it or not, 'Gone Fishin'' is also the title of a book on Japanese grammar and semantics, written by Jay Rubin, a professor of Japanese, in 1992. Funny I can remember that one, isn't it?

Paul said...

Hi Mary

You're right - blogging is so distracting! I have to be really disciplined whenever I log onto my blog or I end up on here all day!

Thanks for the comment on the title of my WiP - it's the third or fourth title I've tried, and so far this one feels 'right'. I'm glad it's got you wondering!

The shocking thing (for me) about keeping a list is finding out how much I'm reading, even though I'm working on a novel myself. On the other hand, I don't really watch much TV . . .

Jay Rubin? Isn't he Haruki Murakami's fave translator??