Tuesday, 2 March 2010

100 Best Crime Books Ever Written?


I am very busily avoiding a piece of work I don't want to do by making one of my all-too-rare-these-days visits to blogland. I do so at the behest of Celina Jacobson, a fellow blogger from across the pond, where she posts articles on a site devoted to helping young Americans looking for a career in court reporting. I have to say I found the site difficult to navigate, but somewhere in there you'll find a blog post in which Celina lists the '100 Best Crime Books Ever Written'. I'm not sure what her criteria for selection were, but any 'best ever written' list that includes Dan Brown's appallingly badly written Da Vinci Code doesn't deserve to be taken too seriously. But then, how many of us (apart from a few Nick Hornby characters) take these lists seriously anyway?

3 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

I have a problem with the word 'best' at the best (ho ho!) of times and usually think these lists should be called 'The 100 favourite crime (or whatever) stories of the author of this list'. I suppose they suddenly become terribly important to anyone who finds themselves on one though.

Paul said...

Hi Eryl. Good to hear from you - I've been away too long! I agree entirely, especially that appearing on one of these lists would make that list suddenly important. Not only that - I'm sure it would also make the list suddenly highly respectable, too! lol

boros1124 said...

The classics are easy to decide which one is best, but the contemporary literature, where every day is a new book appears, it is difficult to decide which book is best. I used to have, "said the man, that Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot books were the best. Has recently appeared as a book. When you put together a list of 100 best books, it has not even been included. Sales charts have also been possible to decide whether this is a really good book or not, for fear that someone will buy, it is not certain that the readers like it too. I liked this book for example, but someone else might have not yet bought. http://www.konyv-konyvek.hu/book_images/29a/999641229a.jpg