Wednesday, 3 March 2010

What's your favourite book of the last decade?

Notice I'm not asking about your 'best' book of the last decade - see Eryl's comment on my last post, below. Recently, at my MA class, I said I thought Cormac McCarthy's The Road was 'probably' my favourite book of the last ten years. I still think that, and I'm in good company. Joshua (Then We Came to the End) Ferris and Simon (Relentless) Kernick think so, too. How do I know this? Well, the Sky Book Show has asked a number of authors to name their favourite book of the last ten years, and The Road was nominated by both Ferris and Kernick. Just for the record, here's the full list of authors and their favourites.

Simon Armitage: Return to the City of White Donkeys by James Tate

John Boyne: The Road Home by Rose Tremain

Alastair Campbell: Saturday by Ian McEwan

Monty Don: Woodlands by Oliver Rackham

Roddy Doyle: The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

Joshua Ferris: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Antonia Fraser: Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor

Joanne Harris: Perfumes: The A-Z Guide by Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez

Nicky Haslam: A Strange Eden by Tony Duquette

Simon Kernick: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Marina Lewycka: White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Andrea Levy: English Passengers by Matthew Kneale

Ian McEwan: Le Bal by Irène Némirovsky

Neel Mukherjee: Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson

David Nicholls: Under the Skin Michel Faber

George Pelecanos: Northline by Willy Vlautin

Terry Pratchett: A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Philip Pullman: The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh Vincent Van Gogh by Arnold Pomerans

Lionel Shriver: As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann

Rose Tremain: The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

Joanna Trollope: Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Natasha Walter: On Beauty by Zadie Smith

Shirley Williams: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

So - what's yours?

1 comment:

Eryl Shields said...

I'm not actually sure when most of the books I love were published, and I'm too lazy to check. However, The Road is one of my all time favourites so I'll pick that.