Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Wizard Nobel Sentiments


I've not been blogging lately because I've been busy working on a novel (i.e. having a lazy summer doing nothing). But I was browsing a literary gossip site earlier and I read something I wanted to share. The 2011 Nobel Prize for Literature will be announced soon - on a Thursday (yet to be revealed) in October, in fact. And there's a degree of speculation about who the winner might be. A fair amount of money seems to be being bet on Cormac McCarthy getting the prize this year, or perhaps Don deLillo, but Benjamin Black's alter ego John Banville has also been mentioned. ["Dear GOD! Not Banville!" said one contributor. "If that arrogant prick ever got the Nobel his ego would transform into a "giant Adenoid" blob fit to consume all of Dublin!"] But the suggested winner that really fired my imagination was.... J K Rowling. Really?? Hmm. Apparently, the mother of Harry Potter is "a superb writer by any standard" and "the ... universe she created is unparalleled in modern literature. Once the dust settles on Potterdom, Rowling might be a writer worthy of consideration for the Nobel."

At first, it was assumed this contributor was joking. But there was a minor furore when someone said the Harry Pooter books were "poorly written, ill conceived and trite", drawing this impressive rationalisation:

"Being overly fond of adverbs isn't enough to totally condemn her as an author. I do believe she is of unparalleled importance, especially in what her books have done to bring not just more children into reading, but to jump-start the publishing industry into publishing more children's books. In a similar way to how Tolkien redefined high fantasy and has his spot in history for it, Rowling redefined magical fantasy and children's literature to a large degree. 40 years from now I doubt an author like Don DeLillo will be much discussed outside of 20th Century American Literature classes, but Rowling will still be eagerly looked over by young readers in 40 languages. Critical opinion will become more favorable to her as time goes on."

An interesting argument. Harry Potter - "the most outstanding work in an ideal direction ...”?

7 comments:

SaysMindy said...

I love the Harry Potter books. I think too many people look at the craze it has made and they write off Rowling as being just another teen book writer. She really did start an entire shift and moved a whole generation away from video games. The books are entertaining and inspire creativity and thought. What else can one ask for from a book?

A Wild Imagination said...

I like your writing style. Cheeky. You've inspired me to go back to my own blog for Yankee wannabe writers and give it a bit more personality. It's gotten too staid. If you like, drop by and give me some feedback. I'd like to know what you think works and what doesn't. Your site has been good inspiration. Thanks.
www.fay-moore.blogspot.com

Megan Colyer said...

I’ve been following your blog and have noticed you write about being a writer. The reason I'm leaving you a comment is that I'm the Marketing coordinator for StageofLife.com, and I am looking for bloggers who might be interested in guest writing on our site. Our mission is to change the world one story at a time.

Could we feature you? We work with talented writers and bloggers to build a network of stories, crossing all stages of life, that will help make the world a better place, and I think our readers would gain a lot from your life perspective.

Go to www.stageoflife.com to explore what our site has to offer.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you if you are interested. My email is megan.colyer@stageoflife.com. Thanks!

Megan

Runescape Gold said...

I adore the Harry Potter books. I think as well numerous individuals appears in the craze it has made plus they compose away Rowling as getting just one more teen guide write. She in reality do start an whole shift and moved a whole era apart from movement photo games. It's gotten as well staid. in circumstance you like, lose by and give me some feedback. I'd would rather master that which you think operates and what doesn't. your internet site has long been very good inspiration. Thanks.

Linda Corby said...

Nice blog,Thanks you :-)

Marina Development said...


Great post, you have pointed out some superb details, I will tell my friends that this is a very informative blog thanks.

wowgame said...

how Tolkien redefined high fantasy and has his spot in history for it, Rowling redefined magical fantasy and children's literature tWOW Gold
Billig WOW Gold